Friday, April 4, 2008

Thing 15. Online Games and Libraries

I decided to skip ahead to Thing 15 because its relevant to what I am doing tonight. I am blogging from the Plainview Public Library as I help chaperone one of their GameFest nights. There are 28 kids ages 12-18 here tonight. Some are playing the Magic: The Gathering card game. Some are on the computers playing Runescape or armorgames.com. There is also a PS3 hooked up to a projector that they are playing Rock Band on. There are 2 other TV's set up with gaming consoles. Lots of fun is being had.

Plainview has had a very successful gaming program. Along with the GameFest nights, they have had various video game tournaments and are about to do another Dungeons & Dragons class. Alice went to the TechSource Gaming, Learning, and Libraries Symposium last year and came back with a lot of new ideas, especially for family gaming and intergenerational gaming. The rumor is that its going to be in Chicago again this year, but November instead of July. We'll have to keep an eye on the website to confirm that.

So, on to the actual assignment. I did Puzzle Pirates, pretty fun but I'm still more of a Runescape person.

No comments: