Friday, March 7, 2008

Thing 11. Tagging and Del.icio.us

I'm a relatively recent convert to del.icio.us. I didn't see the point because I had Google's bookmark sync setup, so I had my bookmarks on all my workstations already. I'm also a bookmark pack rat, and one day I decided I was going to give del.icio.us a try in an attempt to get them better organized and available from any PC without needing to install any software. It's been great. I no longer scroll through pages of bookmarks to find the one I want. It has also saved me from keeping 30 tabs open to websites I thought looked interesting, but I hadn't had the time to give more than a cursory glance. Now, with the del.icio.us toolbar, I just tag them and know that they'll be there when I'm looking for something on that topic.

I can see this being a very good tool at libraries to share commonly used bookmarks, they can be available to any computer in the library. I can also see pulling an RSS feed for a certain tag and putting that as part of the content on the library's website. It's a great way to share interesting items with coworkers and/or patrons.

No comments: